Friday, July 30, 2010

Shaykh Omar Basheer "Light of Inheritor" in Penang









I am sorry for not updating much info or my backdate travelogue on this blog at the moment. For such lame reason, I would probably say I am too busy. Here we go with the late one!

One of the few maqam of Awliyah in Penang that is prominent Shaykh Omar Basheer from Iraq while there was a narration indicated hes from Hadramawt, Yemen.The reliable source claim its Hadramawt. It was also written he was the Awliyah whom brought the Tariqah Naqshbandi Khalidi to Penang and introduced Suluk through the teaching of the Tariqah. He did his seclusion in a complete covered wooden house which still remain intact today. He was from the Naqshbandi Khalidi thus he got the title al Khalidi too. (Most of the Naqshbandi Tariqah is the Khalidiyah which came from the Spiritual Lineage of Mawlana Shaykh Khalid al Bahgdadi whom maqam is in Damascus, Syria). I'm not too sure if most of the Naqshbandi Khalidi in this region is from his spread. I guess when we read the book Naqshbandi in Nusantara by Professor Martin van Bruinessen we will get the clear understanding. I am dont know about his birth date but it was written he died at 1881.

He live during the period of British colonization and was like by the British government. He was also very well known among the ruling elites who were indebted to him for his ability to mediate during the Penang riots of 1867. In fact, the British build a house for him which he lived till he died. After his death, his son Shaykh Zakaria took over his post and continue his works for dakwah and other religious duty for the society. Thus he became the first Mufti for Penang. His another son Shaykh Yahya pursuit on the same journey and became the first Qadi in Penang. His house in 1917 evolved into a madrasah for Quranic Studies.

His maqam is s located at Kampung Melayu, Ayer Hitam, Penang, underneath a 35-foot white tower. It was said the maqam was built by the Muslim laborers from India. Its one of the most beautiful place I ever visited, reminded me as if I am in Middle east. Beautiful design of architecture and surrounded with tranquility atmosphere. Many visitors as far as from Middle east from the Tariqah of Naqshbandi or any other Tariqah will always pay visit to Shaykh Umar Maqam. may Allah bless him.

p/s: When I was there, I did told my wife this maqam reminded us of our beloved Shaykh Zakaria Bagharib. The father is Shaykh Omar and the son name is Shaykh Zakaria and they were descendant from Hadramawt, Yemen. May Allah bless his lovers and the inheritors of Prophet Muhammad s.a.w.

Lowest Photo is Maqam Shaykh Zakaria bin Omar Basheer
The Photo taken by Ainun Harun

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Assalam mu'alaikum Friends, I am glad the history of my great3 grandfather from my mother's side is on site. This is a reminder to my family that they have to carry the good name of the family

Unknown said...

Assalam mu'alaikum Friends, I am glad the history of my great3 grandfather from my mother's side is on site. This is a reminder to my family that they have to carry the good name of the family